March 2022 Community Service

 March 2022 Community Service - 2 hours


I had the privilege of being part of a team at a local construction company that was providing free estimates and clean-up services for people affected by severe weather. Additionally, The Home Improvement Masters were performing restoration and roof repair free of charge to those affected by the tornados that tore through Arabi and New Orleans East. Volunteers were assigned tasks for painting, building, floor removal, and even drywall removal. Initially, I was afraid I would encounter insects or roaches, but once I was in there I found myself not even thinking about it. As someone who was personally and deeply affected by Hurricane Katrina, I finally understood why people come together to rebuild damaged communities. To me, it felt like my own self was repairing, able to let go of past turmoil through a healthy outlet. Though seeing the dilapidated homes brought back memories of my own childhood home in shambles, the realization of growth came with it. I was happy to lend a hand and return the favor to all of the volunteers who helped me once. I was reminded of the importance of community, social, and familial support; The feeling of not being alone is one I hope to always extend to others, as it is sometimes the most crucial. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11/2020

April 2022 Community Service

February 2021 Volunteer Hours